MFS believes that maintaining a diverse community is essential to creating a good learning environment, and seeks to build a school community that reflects the world outside the classroom.
While the principal responsibility for financing an independent school education lies with students’ families, MFS is able to offer tuition assistance for qualifying families.
MFS uses School and Student Services (SSS) to process financial aid applications. SSS is a service of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS). Based on the financial information you provide in the Parent Financial Statement (PFS), SSS provides an estimated amount your family can contribute to educational expenses. This estimate is a starting point and helps the School make fair and objective financial aid decisions.
Although the school is pleased to be able to offer financial aid, not all families who qualify are guaranteed to receive it, or to receive it to the full extent of their assessed need.
Steps for 2013-14 financial aid application
- Go to sss.nais.org. Our school code is 2529.
- Select the SSS website for FAMILIES.
- Click on the ‘apply now’ button to begin your Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS) online.
- You will set up a PFS Online login/password that will allow you to return to work on your PFS before submitting it. Your information will be secure.
- Complete the application by February 1, 2013.
- By February 15, 2013: Upload electronically into your PFS: a signed copy of your 2012 IRS 1040 Tax Statement (be sure to include all supporting schedules and forms). If your signed 2012 IRS 1040 Tax Statement is not available by February 15, 2013, submit an explanation of any changes in income for the tax year, supported by 2012 W-2s, 1099s, or pay stubs. A copy of your return must be submitted no later than April 15, 2013. Awards made before the current year tax returns are received are contingent on those returns substantiating the explanation provided.
- Submit and pay for the PFS.
- November 1, 2012 – Online application for 2013-2014 becomes available
- February 1, 2013 – Applications due to SSS
- February 15, 2013 – Supporting tax documents due to SSS
SSS Customer Service Center: (800) 344-8328 | sss.nais.org
There is extensive online help for the Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS), but if you have additional questions you may contact the SSS Customer Service Center. Assistance is available in English as well as Spanish. If you are calling from outside the United States or Canada, please dial 952-967-9922. Hours: Mon-Fri: 9:00 am – 11:00 pm EST and Sat: 9:00 am – 8:00 pm EST.